MMU 1 : 1
Since 2009 MMU has been exploring the possibilities that exist when students have ubiquitous access to technology. This "laptop initiative" has now become part of the instructional program for all students.
The goals of this program are to:
- Increase student learning through engagement
- Promote 21st Century skills and learning through the use of technology tools
- Improve student connection to and enjoyment of school by extending learning opportunities beyond the MMU building and class schedule.
When all students have their own laptop (a "1:1 computing" environment) teachers are better able to incorporate technology into their programs to help students reach the 21st Century Learning Expectations of the MMU Mission. Technology instruction at MMU is embedded in the core curriculum, where students learn applicable skills in the context of projects and activities. Our Technology Integration Specialist collaborates with teachers to develop these opportunities, provide PD, create the instructional materials specific to the technologies involved and work with the teachers and students in the classroom while they are applying technology to their learning.
Technology use promotes the development of 21st Century Skills deemed necessary for success in the modern workplace as well as Digital Citizenship skills important for positive and productive use of technology. These skills are also reflected in six areas identified by the International Society for Technology Education (ISTE) in the NETS-S Standards:
- Creativity and Innovation
- Communication and Collaboration
- Research and Information Fluency
- Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making
- Digital Citizenship
- Technology Operations and Concepts
MMU is committed to the use of technology tools for teaching and learning, and will continue to explore and expand these opportunities throughout our instructional program.